RoyalBlue Rangers ATV Club

East Tennessee's Riding At Its Best
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:27 am 
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

Ok, I need a little advice or guidance here.

ATV: 2009 550 Grizzly fi with EPS

Issue: Clicking noise while turning. It is coming from the rear. It clicks in both right hand turns and left hand turns. The click is similar to what you hear when a CV axle on a car is going out. I can feel the click too when turning. I tried this on both pavement and gravel and grass. The wife did not like the grass move. LOL!!!!

Done so far: I replaced the wheel bearings on both sides. One was fairly bad with mud and such in it and the other was so-so.

Lifted machine off ground and inspected boots with a “fine tooth comb”. Plus, I squeezed and poked them to ensure there were not hairline cracks or tears. I could not see any other signs of boot failure.

Result: Same, still has same clicking noise.

Advice please? THANKS in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:30 am 
Trail Captain
Trail Captain

Wow.. I did a Google search on 'clicking noise grizzly' and nearly every
reply was a cv joint going bad. Sounds like time to take it in, get it
inspected. You don't want a failure while deep in the woods. At least I
wouldn't ride without a buddy, just in case! :shock:

Garmin Oregon 200 / Midland-GTX1050 Radios

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm 
RBRs President
RBRs  President

Yep, usually a clicking or clunking sound means a cv joint. But.......think a little outside the box.

Only does it when turning..........That sort of tells me something is shifting. Check all your rear a arm bushing to make sure there isn't a lot of play. Could be the hub is leaning too much and putting a bind on the cv joint. Check all your connections at hub and from.

Usually with a cv joint it will click all the time, not just when turning, makes me wonder if something loose or worn out.

2010 White Polaris RZR-S w/ EMP UHMW skids, Seismic rear view mirror, Polaris Sport Roof, Polaris Locknride Trunk, Homemade Stereo, Ritron RPM-450 Patriot Mobile 2-Way Radio, Homemade front mud flaps, RJS 4 point harnesses, 1lb fire extinguisher, Kolpin "Old Style" Flat fuel pack, Kolpin new Fuel pack Jr. w/ Homemade mount, 12" Totron LED Light Bar, LED underdash accent lights, Bigmike's Wide Open Cooling Mod

Kountrygurl's ride- 2010 Kawi Teryx Sport with many add ons!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 am 
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

THAMKS for your input. I just ordered both rear axles.
I hope this does it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 am 
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

Ok,
Follow up on rear clicking sounds.

Put in two new axles and the sound went away. The old ones both appeared to have issues with the upper knuckle.

Thanks for the advice and guidance!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm 
RBRs President
RBRs  President

It's because you ride like a nascar driver! :mrgreen:

Just messing with ya!

Strange about the cv joints. Wonder if they had enough grease in them from the factory. Only things I know to cause them to wear out is no or little grease or a suspension lift which will put the axles at a steeper angle causing them to wear faster.

Have you performed an autopsy on the old ones? Also don't cut the bands on the cv boot, they are reusable on yamahas unless they have changed. Just bend the two small tabs up that hold the end of the band in place, you can then unfold the band.

2010 White Polaris RZR-S w/ EMP UHMW skids, Seismic rear view mirror, Polaris Sport Roof, Polaris Locknride Trunk, Homemade Stereo, Ritron RPM-450 Patriot Mobile 2-Way Radio, Homemade front mud flaps, RJS 4 point harnesses, 1lb fire extinguisher, Kolpin "Old Style" Flat fuel pack, Kolpin new Fuel pack Jr. w/ Homemade mount, 12" Totron LED Light Bar, LED underdash accent lights, Bigmike's Wide Open Cooling Mod

Kountrygurl's ride- 2010 Kawi Teryx Sport with many add ons!